STUDENT CREW REQUIREMENTS
For Ocean Training, indeed all voyages:
· Good physical condition - a recent physical exam
· Intermediate to advanced sailing experience – to ASA 104 level or better
· 3 or 4 seasons of coastwise or inland sailing experience with some overnight.
· An aggressive learning attitude
· Willingness to share skills, knowledge and chores with shipmates
CREW REQUIRED “KIT” PERSONAL GEAR
1. harness and tether
2. rigging knife and/or multi tool
3. personal strobe light - attach to harness
4. small flashlight - rigged for night vision - (dim light or red lens)
6. sleeping gear--- blanket or sleeping bag and pillow case
7. appropriate foul weather gear – consider the voyage latitudes
Passport and Copies of any licenses that may be required in foreign ports
Cash adequate for personal needs, travelers checks, credit cards
Airline tickets necessary for return (req. by ports of entry), frequent flyer cards
Clothing & Personal Gear:
CLOTHING: foul weather gear, sea boots (if needed), gloves, 2 or 3 hats, two sets sweat suits - one shirt with hood, sweater, ample socks & underwear, long pants, 2 shorts, bathing suit, ample t shirts, at least one long sleeve shirt, sun UV protective clothing, etc.
MEDICATIONS: Bonine or other motion sickness medication, personal medications, Sun Block, Chap Stick,
HYGIENE: dental care gear, towels, wash cloth, soaps, razors, dop kit -- note that water use for personal hygiene purposes will be severely restricted! Sea water will be used where possible for bathing and cleaning.
Educational gear (e.g.celestial navigation forms and texts), sextant, GPS receiver and other navigational tools & charts, camera, reading material, personal tape player and tapes, favorite snacks, etc., etc.
Reading Material, etc. for leisure time.....
Travel light! - bring only what is necessary.... Most people bring too many clothing items. Remember, you’ll be carrying your gear back with you through airports and such!
Back to Home