NARC DISPATCH TO SailOP NARC RALLY

Osprey,  Oyster 53.

Capt.,      David Appleton

Mate,      Jim Bortnem

Navigator, Andrei Gasheyev

Boatswain,  Greg Jakubowski      

 

Osprey left early.  After talking with you Saturday morning on the fuel dock in Newport, I returned to NEB and got away from the dock at 1030,  arrived at Beavertail at 1200 and began our voyage.  Attached find voyage statistics.

 for Newport to Bermuda leg.

 

10/30/2010 - We had prepped since Wednesday evening and were ready to go Saturday.  We consulted various wx sources, including Susan, NWS, Acuweather, and Commanders WX with whom Osprey owner Tim McCarthy has an account.  And we looked out the window and observed local conditions and tell tale signs in the clouds. As I told you on the fuel dock.....  the frontal system manifesting itself looked far to good to miss.  Commanders told us on Friday to leave ASAP, no later than Sat. afternoon, or we would have to wait a week for another window.  Osprey owner Tim strongly recommended we leave ASAP.  I liked what I saw in the sky and the stiff westerly breeze,  so we left.

 

We motored from NEB in Portsmouth to Beavertail, where we set sail for what promised to be a spirited, lumpy ride with 30 to 35 out of the west and occasionally WSW.  We deeply reefed main and put out about 1/3 genoa and thus canvased, hauled ass at about 7.8 to 9 knots with wind on our stbd. quarter.  Seas got lumpier as we left the lee of RI.  But the speed of the ride made it all seem worthwhile.

 

10/31 - We ran the rhumb line as recommended by Commanders.  This route looked good to us as well.  Gulf stream analysis showed rhumb line passing through east side of a warm eddy, promising a bit of a boost.  This proved out at about 1.5+ knots on our stern speeding us on.   Winds backed some to the SW requiring us to go east of the rhumb line.  This did not hamper us.... in fact it may have helped us get even more of a boost as or SOG increased.   That's why I sent the attached statistics and way points back to you guys in Newport.... thinking we found the best route for currents.

 

11/1 - And further down the rhumb line we hit the Gulf Stream's strongest current where it had a southeasterly set, which not only gave us a 2.5+ knot boost, but settled the seas.   The NWesterly winds on the ESE setting current made for a lovely smooth ride.  I felt like I found the Holy Grail of courses to BDA from Newport, at least at this time.  Andrei cooked bacon and eggs for breakfast in the Stream!

 - Winds backed somewhat forcing us to go more East of the rhumbline than I would have liked.  But the winds sustained in the 20 to 30 range giving us good speed.  

 

And Greg caught and cooked 3 Mahi Mahi along the way.  Fine eatin'.

 

11/2 On the third day winds started to veer to the North giving our poleless boat little alternative than to go more West then we would have liked.  Winds also lightened to 15 to 20...  Winds continued to veer to NNE and we followed, sailing off the wind as much as possible yet keeping the genoa drawing clean air.

 

Our biggest mistake was waiting too long to jibe as winds continued to clock to the N and NE....  I waited until first light but should have jibed at midnight of the 3rd day.  This added perhaps 10 or 15  miles or more to our through the water track and several hours to our voyage time.

 

11/3 - We contacted Bermuda Radio at about 0400 and they advised us that heavy traffic was scheduled for the the Narrows area near Town Cut between 0700 and 0800, so we turned on the engine to get in before this possibly delaying traffic.  Thus I was denyed my ambition to sail all the way in to and through Town Cut from Bevertail....   Maybe next year.

 

We made fast at Customs Dock at 0530 on Wednesday 11/3.  Cleared in and tied up to warf accross the canal from Ordinance Island.

 

We negotiated with several other boats and Bermuda Yacht Services and arranged berth for Osprey inside in the lee of Ordinance Island,  on the south side with two other boats, GodSpeed and Cayanne, rafted up to us.  

 

We holed up there and prepped for a predicted southerly gail that never really materialized. We also watched wx for track of TS Tomas which threatened Bermuda and our path to St. Maarten. He held  station there until Monday, when we left with favorable wx predicted, passing town cut at 1200.

 

Our passage to St. Maarten was relatively uneventful with notherly winds on  our starboard quarter.  Greg caught a wahoo and made steaks, and he also caught a 15 lb. tuna which provided several dinners of sasheme (sp?) for us and which we shared with our neighbor crew on Cayanne while at Simpson Bay Marina.

 

We had left Bermuda, clearing the cut at 1200 on Monday, 11/8 with good NW winds at 25 knts. + kicking up seas to 8 to 10 feet or so, and enjoyed these conditions until Friday, 11/9 when winds subsided and we reluctantly motored for the last 26 hours, arriving in Simpson Bay at 1530 Saturday, 11/13 in time for the 1730 bridge opening.  We tied up at Simpson Bay Marina at 1750.

 

Such  was our voyage.   I  look forward to hearing from others.

 

I too leave on another delivery Sunday.  Houston to Key West to St. Thomas on an Amel Super Maramu.

 

Wishing us both fair winds!

 

David